Friday, March 26, 2010

Atsiprašau. Nekalbu lietuviškai.

My first week in Lithuania I kinda felt like I was in a coma at times because I was having a hard time adjusting to the time difference. I might finally fall asleep at about midnight and then only wake up at 3 to a stomach wondering where dinner was. I would study some Lithuanian for a couple hours to fall back asleep at about 5 or 6 only to wake up at 8 or earlier. I am not good at not getting sleep, but actually I did well, probably mostly because I had very few things I needed to do. The 1 goal for that week was to talk with 2 high schools about helping with English, which I did. Both were extremely receptive and happy to have me as a volunteer. I offered to come in one day a week to do mainly some speech and listening comprehension. I actually started at one of the schools Thursday and it went really well. The teachers were happy to have me and the students were participating so much I really would have had to prepare little for the lesson. The paid part of my experience, as I soon was able to understand when I got to Lithuania, could possibly come from helping in the town university. The students of course want to better their English understanding but also the professors want some help. I will meet with the university during Holy week so we will have to see how that goes. I also will meet with another high school where my cousins that I live with go to. This will also be a volunteer position. So a good outcome to all of this would give a schedule that would be teaching in the high school as a volunteer for 3 days and teaching for some minimal pay at the university 2 days of the week.
Besides this planning, I also was being led around by the hand through the city so that I could get around by myself in this small town and could use the buses. I walked around quite a bit (of course most of the time accompanied) and surely confused some people when I was doing my own personal English-Lithuanian language lesson on produce in the supermarket.
On another note, learning Lithuanian has proved to be a huge challenge, something I can see that will almost surely not be done by me in the time that I here while living in an English environment. I have heard and read that it is one of the toughest languages, some ranking it as 2nd or 3rd. When I first saw the word declension, I had urges of jumping out of a window. All I know is that it's definitely a lot harder than Spanish. But that is OK. I am surely going to continue with my personal lessons but not get upset when a native mistakes me even after 6 months.
Finally, as I am sure I will be through out my time here, I am very thankful my extended family has been helping me out so much and speaking a lot of English. Without for them, I know I could not transition as easily nor have the connections with the schools they had already arranged.
First sunny day and the Lithuanian flag
I got to see a musical my first week in town. Here are 2 shots I took. The musical was called the Devil's Bride.



The apartment complex where I live

Cabbage rolls... I forgot the potatoes.

Wild blueberries and raspberries from the farm


I guess seeing all that food got the pet turtle hungry too.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Joe! :) It is so nice to hear about your first week! I hope that you are starting to feel better/more on schedule with the time there!

    BTW - What is the university that you would be working at?! I am just curious. ;)

    I <3 the pet turtle too! :)

    Take care Joe! We miss you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have adjusted now I think and have been sleeping very well this week.

    Hmmm, I will have to let you know what the name of the university is another day because I am not sure myself.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh! I am so happy to hear from you Joe! I think it is so fun communicating with a friend when we are so far apart (like on two different continents for example)! It is just so neat! :)

    That is great to hear that you are just about all adjusted to the time zone there. I feel like that is practically the most difficult thing to adjust to when traveling (beside the language difference)! I remember when I participated in the UK Summer Study Tour through my graduate program in May of 2008, we were only there for 3 weeks, and I never really felt like I had time to adjust (it was so different than just visiting for a few days or a week). :)

    Also, that is cool that you do not remember the name! I was just curious to know which university it was. ;) I think that will be super fun for you to work there Joe! :)

    Enjoy the rest of your week and your weekend Joe, and take care! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did find the name of the university... Šiaulių universitetas. It is right in the town where I live. You should be able to go to www.su.lt for any info you want on it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joe, that's such an awesome adventure! I love hearing what you're doing. How long do you plan to stay in Lithuania? I'll be praying for you as you learn the language--for English speakers, there are few languages easier than the Romance languages, but I'm sure your previous experiences will help.

    Oh, and by the way, I'm applying to teach Spanish in Cameroon with the Wycliffe Bible Translators for a year or two. So far so good in the application process.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much Joe! :) That was very kind of you; I really do appreciate it! It is so great that it is in the town you live in too! I am excited to hear about your adventures there. ;)

    ReplyDelete