Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pataisa

OK, there's a correction that I wanted to point out. I wrote incorrectly about the city where I live, Šiauliai. In the March issue called Ukyje, I mistakenly said that the golder archer, or golden boy was said to have shot an arrow during the battle of the sun that took place near Šiauliai. This archer is more just a symbol for the city. I was told that, but find any backing to the myth. I did just a little reading on the battle which took place in 1236. It was fought between Catholic orders trying to "convert" the pagans of the land to Christianity (and of course to do more like get land and the such) and the pagans they were trying to convert, including the Lithuanians. This battle ended in a large defeat for the Livonian Brothers of the Sword (the Catholic order) and helped spur revolts throughout the Baltic lands for years that followed.

Also, I said that this was the 1000th year for Lithuania...which is coming to an end this year. Some time in 1009 Lithuania was first mentioned in a German manuscript. One person has told me that the reason Lithuania was in the manuscript was because the people, pagans, had killed a pope. I have not found anything to backup the story, but it certainly is interesting in the least.

2 comments:

  1. I`m really proud of you Joe! The man who was killed by pagans,was St.Brunon the first missionary who dared to entered our lands,as far as I remember he was a catholic bishop.

    Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow, so the story was not that far off. Thanks for confirming the reason why Lithuania was first mentioned.

    ReplyDelete